This is an original drama with no other versions.
Xue Hai is the only son of an extremely rich family in Taiwan. He was raised by his overprotective big sister and sheltered from everything. When he decides to go to Hangzhou for college, his sister makes him take on the identity of Lin Da Lang who is poor.
He meets Chen Bao Zhu and they fall in love. Just before graduation, Chen Bao Zhu gets in a car accident, but through a series of misunderstandings, Lin Da Lang thinks that he was ruthlessly abandoned causing him to stop believing in love.
Fast forward to three years later, Xue Hai has turned into a rich playboy, while Chen Bao Zhu has become a radio DJ who continues to search for her sweet and innocent Lin Da Lang. Their paths cross again when he hears her voice on the radio, and he decides to get revenge for being dumped.
- Xue Hai (薛海) / Lin Da Lang (林達浪) is the male lead. At first, he’s sweet and innocent. He has lived in a bubble his whole life and desperately desires the chance to be independent, make friends, and fall in love. After he believes that Chen Bao Zhu dumped him he turns into an uncaring, materialistic, and spiteful playboy. Played by Show Luo (羅志祥).
- Chen Bao Zhu (陳寶茱) is the female lead. She is the misunderstood devil girl that has a reputation for being ruthless, lazy, and a thief. She’s good at fighting (judo) and can terrorize anyone by beating and yelling at them. However, she has a sweeter side; she just hides to protect herself, because she’s a loner. Played by Rainie Yang (楊丞琳).
- He Yan Feng (何言風) is the supporting male. He met Chen Bao Zhu in high school while they were both on in the judo club. He’s liked her ever since. He Yan Feng is the Creative Director of a radio station in Kaoshiung. He’s clever, observant, and persuasive in his work. With Bao Zhu Jie, he’s patient and caring. He shows his love for her by silently supporting her and waiting for her to come around. He is willing to encourage her in anything, including her desire to pursue a relationship with Da Lang, even though he wants her to choose him. Played by Lee Wei (李威).
- Theme Songs: 愛瘋頭 (Head Over Heels) – 羅志祥 (Show Luo), 雨愛 (Rainie Love) – 楊丞琳 (Rainie Yang)
Opening Theme: 愛瘋頭
Ending Theme: 雨愛
- Other Featured Songs: 青春鬥 (Struggle with Youth) –楊丞琳(Rainie Yang); 匿名的好友 (Anonymous Friend) – 楊丞琳(Rainie Yang); 愛不單行 (Love Doesn’t Travel Alone) – 羅志祥 (Show Luo); 生理時鐘 (Biological Clock) – 羅志祥 (Show Luo); In Your Eyes –楊丞琳 + 羅志祥 (Rainie Yang & Show Luo)
In Your Eyes
- Overall: Both of the main characters did all songs for the drama. The music and lyrics generally fit the mood of the scenes. Because I heard the music before I saw Hi My Sweetheart, I don’t really necessary make the connection with the drama. These just seemed to be good songs on the artists’ regular albums.
This drama is styled like a manga with fun character “asides” and everything else which makes it very entertaining to watch. It starts off as a just okay drama; it gets really good towards the middle; and it ends on a pretty flat note – using a long string of TW Drama clichés.
In an interview on 100% Entertainment (娛樂百分百), Show Lo explained that the drama is pretty much the same and most dramas, but the difference is that it leaves you feeling pretty touched. You are able to connect with the characters. And I think that’s really true. It’s enjoyable if you’re looking for something cute, light, and fairly short. Plus it was pretty popular.
Level: Advanced (but great for Upper Intermediate learners).
Topics: relationships, school, identity, insults, business (basics), radio, family